Man was made to rule over and take care of His creations. But religion is not the only aspect in our life that calls us to be concerned of the welfare of the environment. Our health, happiness and the future generations likewise depend on how we use and manage the Earth at present.
Caring for the environment begins from the basic unit of society, the family. It is through the awareness of the responsibility of each member of the household to protect and nurture the planet that you are able to globally participate towards the achievement of a better life. It doesn’t require much labor for you to be earth-friendly. There are so many simple ways that when done consistently the right way, can make a significant and huge difference. Here are some suggestions on easy ways to make a greener home and living:
1. Replace appliances to energy-efficient models. Check for the “Energy Star” logo when you use or purchase appliances and gadgets because they consume up to 10%-50% lesser energy and water compared to typical ones. Use energy-efficient lights. Standard incandescent light bulbs consume more energy compare to Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL). The latter can last 10x longer and consumes about 66% lesser than the former.
2. Water conservation. It doesn’t require products for you to implement the wise use of water rather it only needs some behavioral change on your part. Simply turning off the faucet every time that it’s not used can make a great difference. Installing a low-flow toilet or adjusting its float bulb can greatly minimize 2 liters of water used to flush the toilet. Save up to 80 liters of water when you use the broom instead of using the garden hose every time you clean the driveway. .
3. Use less paper. Paper comes from trees. Whenever we recycle or use a post-consumer paper, we save money, trees and the environment.
4. Minimize plastic use. Polyethylene plastic is usually found in grocery, trash and sandwich bags. Throwing plastics away to the landfill increases greenhouse gasses which in turn contribute to the occurrence of global warning. Additionally, burning and processing plastics is a major contributor to global warming since they are made from petroleum.
5. Organic gardening. Instead of using fertilizers and other chemicals to grow plants at home, use compost. Not only does it contain the right amount of nutrients, but also a good degree of soil organism is present to keep the soil fertile and healthy for plant growth.
It’s a cliché but as a matter of fact, recycling and cutting down on what you consume are the basic means for living a green and earth friendly life.